Saturday, April 08, 2006

ON SCIENCE FICTION

I came across an article to day (06.04.06) in the Hindu Metro Plus on Asimov by one Mala Kumar. Reading science fiction is an intellectual exercise. Before drawn to SF I was reading Arthur Hailey and Irving Wallace and of course the classics. During early 80’s I had two personal tragedies. Within spate of one year I lost my father and my best friend. During that period I was depressed and terribly upset unable to cope with my miseries. At that time one of my friend Saravanan introduced me to Easwari Lending Library enticing me to drown my tragedies amidst books. I had access to enumerable books on every author I chose. I owe a lot to my friend
My appetite for books was some what satiated by Easwari Lending Library. Around the same time another friend Nagabushanam introduced me to Isaac Asimov and J.K’s Lectures. These two friends have shaped my Self to what I am to day. My political views, social views, Cosmic and spiritual knowledge expanded through Easwari Lending Library.

Coming to Issac Asimov, I was thrilled by his books-Foundation series, Short stories etc. I was fascinated by his description of alien landscape, Gadgets, Space travel, Time Travel what he calls Time Warping and what not? When I read his Robot series- that is ultimate. The story I Robot is one of the best SF story I ever I read. It is both philosophical and scary. It also tells us about the horror of take over by Machines. I have read I Robot many a times. The fact of being a chemistry graduate helped me to understand SF better, with out getting over awed by the scientific knowledge these books put forth. From science fiction I have graduated to non- fiction. Even Issac Asimov books on non-fiction are simply superb. He has written about many discoveries and inventions in his own style that attracts the attention of every reader. My knowledge about cosmos, Big bang Theory, Black Hole, Red star, Neutron star, Tyco Brahe Herschel- every thing about Astronomy is because of him. He used to give inspiring titles to his articles. One such title is: Tiger Tiger Burning Bright, a line from William Blake’s line.

From Asimov I switched over to Arthur Clarke and other SF writers. Arthur Clarke is another who engrossed my attention. His 2001 Space Odyssy, Rendezvous with Rama, Child Hood’s End, The Sential are masterpieces. Sir Fred Hoyle , the physicist and astronomer is another writer who stirred my attention. His novel The Black Cloud is one of the best.


Issac Asimov’s Three Laws of Robotics:

A Robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

A Robot must obey the orders given to it by human being except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

A Robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

No comments: